Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Looking for the Light

This morning when I awoke it was raining, still raining, but the sound of it on the metal roof was soothing and I fell back asleep.  When I awakened a little later the rain had stopped and fog had rolled in.   Our “Sunshine Coast” is actually a rain forest area, hence we have more rainy days than sunny ones, especially in the winter months of the year.  On those days I miss the cold sunshine filled winter days of Alberta where I lived 26 years.   And, it has been raining for days on end this winter!  I have been yearning for sunshine, brightness, that glorious warmth that beams into my whole being.  These dark overcast days of winter get tiresome and I forget that there is much that is happening, just hidden from my view.

I have just begun to read a new book by John Philip Newell, and this morning read my way through the chapter “Reconnecting with the Light”.  This particular chapter had several beautiful pieces of poetry by Mary Oliver, and in this one she wrote about the Light at the heart of life.

"When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pine,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.

I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.

Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, “Stay awhile.”
The light flows from their branches.

And they call again, “It’s simple,” they say,
“and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine.”

So, even though it was still raining, very gently, it seemed that the joy of a morning run would provide space for me to be aware of the Light within in spite of rain.   Mary Oliver’s words were a gentle push this morning to get me out into the rain to  feel the joy of running alone. This time of solitude gave space for the inner Light to remind me to keep on moving through this darker space knowing the light, the season of sun, will be back.  In fact, Light is always there, all around, if I would just linger and wait for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment