Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nourishing Stillness


I often wonder if we discount the nourishing properties of stillness.  There are those unexpected moments we are gifted with a feast for the eyes, the ears, the heart, and soul, and in order to enjoy it we only need to stop, to listen, wait and open the heart and receive it.

A friend and I had gone for a little overnight trip to The Painted Boat Resort up the Sunshine Coast.  When I awoke early in the morning all was still and quiet, and before me was this vista from the large windows in the room.  It was so still, and quiet, and as I wrapped my hands around a warm cup of fresh coffee,  I found myself leaning into this exquisite moment of solitude and stillness and the presence of the Spirit.   It was a banquet of peace, seasoned with some insight into current questions.  My whispered prayer "aprire l'occhi da mia cuore" - open the eyes of my heart, was heard and answered.  That is a tender sweet nourishment to the soul.

In the stillness I knew I had been fed with food I cannot buy, food I received with gratitude and joy.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Stephanie. I agree completely that stillness is nourishing (and necessary!). And the wonderful thing about it is that it's accessible to all... regardless of financial or social position, skill or intellectual level, faith or race.

    ReplyDelete